I'm Just Saying

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Why not?

Over the last three weeks, I have been learning about the characteristics of each generation: the matures, boomers, generation x, and millennials. I think the information I have learned is valuable. Learning the general characteristics of each generation helps a person better communicate among generations. With as much as I appreciate this information, I do find myself disagreeing with some of the "negative" characteristics of the millennials, my generation.

In Claire Raines article, Managing Milennials, she provides advice to the people who are in charge of managing millennials. I believe this article provides a lot of great information.

One of the biggest complaints from my generation that I hear is we get too bored with entry-level work and we want to move up fast. As an employer, I don't see how this is a problem. Having employees that are motivated and focused doesn't seem like a downside. I understand the argument, but there are ways to balance this relationship. Raines mentions in her article that as an employer you must continue to challenge the millennials. Constantly allow them to take on projects that they will learn from.

Maybe it's because I am a part of this generation and a lot of these characteristics of always wanting to be challenged speaks to my personality, but I don't think these characteristics are problem.

I would love to hear your opinion on this topic, especially from people who are on the other side of fence trying to manage millennials.

Here is the link to the Claire Raines article:

http://www.generationsatwork.com/articles/millenials.htm

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home