I'm Just Saying

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Is A-Rod Worth the Money


Before I cover this topic I want to make one thing clear, I hate the Yankees. But, I have a lot of respect for the great players that wear Yankee uniforms, like Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada. My reason for not liking the Yankees is because of the money producing an unfair advantage over every other Major League baseball team.

Now that we got that out of the way, I want to talk about Alex Rodriguez's new deal with the Yankees and why I think it was actually a good move for the Yankee's organization.

Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees agreed to the outline of a record $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that allows for him to earn millions more if he sets the career home run record.

I have heard many speculations about Alex Rodriguez and the fact that he broke his own record of receiving a ridiculous salary, but I don't think the Yankees made a bad move. For one, the Yankee's organization knows Rodriguez is going to be a legend and the Yankees want all baseball legends to end their careers in pin strips. Two, Rodriguez sells like crazy. People pay to wear his apparel and they pay to see the guy play. Three, and what I believe to be the most important reason, the home run record. Unless injury strikes, Alex Rodriguez will break the home run record. Why I feel confident in saying this is because Rodriguez is on 32 years old.

Alex Rodriguez made history before the contract was ever signed. He was the first Yankee to join Hall of Fame members Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle as the only player since 1920 to lead the majors in homers, RBIs and runs scored.

So yes, the Yankees aren't going to win a championship with one player and getting better pitchers is what they should be focusing on, but when you look at the potential in Alex Rodriguez from a franchise stand point, he is worth the money. The Yankees desperately want the home run king wearing pin stripes again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home